The Furmli and Mansuri families are proud Canadians of Afghan descent who are passionate about supporting and encouraging members of the Afghan Diaspora to flourish against the socioeconomic disparities of being and immigrant from a war-torn country. They enjoy fostering entrepreneurship aimed towards helping meet the needs of fellow Canadians and supporting the Canadian Economy. The spirit of this award is to help support a Canadian student of Afghan Heritage who has overcome many obstacles while exemplifying excellent Islamic character and achievement in giving back to Canada.
Dr. Suleiman Furmli is a family physician and Yalda Mansuri is a business strategist. Together they have created multiple medical establishments with different areas of focus including: Immigrant and Refugee Health (www.onestopim.ca), Travel Medicine (www.universaltravelhealth.ca) and Primary Care (www.townclinic.ca) and Palliative Care.
Number of Awards: 1
Award Amount: $3,000
Applications Open: February 1st, 2020
Applications Close: April 15th, 2020
1. Self-identify as Muslim
2. Self identify as an individual of Afghani descent (atleast 1 parent)
3. Demonstrate Excellence of Character: A candidate may use the essay to elaborate on his or her character by describing certain scenarios in which he or she has demonstrated good character in a difficult situation.
4. Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher from Grade 9 to current Grade (12), calculated from a valid high-school transcript
5. Demonstrate leadership qualities in the community; this will be exemplified in the essay questions
6. Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act