Mr. Humayun Zafar believed that excelling at studying and understanding the physical laws of nature is a form of service to God as the laws of nature are God’s laws. He believed that Muslims should strive to achieve excellence and lead innovation in the sciences in order to contribute to society and elevate the brand of Muslims. He was also an inspiration to his son, as well as an inspiration to his nephews.
MAX is founded through his inspiration.
Number of Awards: 1
Award Amount: $5,000
Applications Open: February 1st, 2020
Applications Close: April 15th, 2020
1. Self-identify as a Muslim
2. Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
3. Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher from University/College, calculated from a valid transcript
4. Be enrolled at a recognized post-secondary institution in the Sciences, Trade School or Engineering (any STEM program outside of medicine) as of September 2019
5. Fields of science can include natural sciences (biology, chemistry, physics, and earth sciences) or social sciences (psychology, anthropology, and sociology).
6. Fields of engineering can include civil, electrical, computer, systems design, chemical, mechanical and biomedical.
7. Demonstrate proven excellence in community involvement that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society. (Can be both Muslim and Non Muslim Organizations)
8. Demonstrate Significant Life Experience, Challenge or Extenuating Circumstances. This may be discussed in a candidate’s essay.
9. Demonstrate significant achievements in science or engineering including, but not limited to: publications in academic journals, business start-ups in the areas of science or engineering, and/or meaningful patents filed that have applications to society